Looking to purchase some land in The Bahamas? We don’t blame you — gorgeous beaches, turquoise waters, ever-present sunshine, and tax benefits are enough to have anyone packing and starting their travels.
The Bahamas offers many luxury real estate opportunities, but perhaps you’re interested in building a home from the ground up with the ability to customize every detail and show your unique style.
You’re looking for land for sale in The Bahamas, and we can help you find it.
Read on to learn how foreigners can buy land in The Bahamas, where to buy land in The Bahamas, and why so many investors do.
Can I buy land in The Bahamas?
Absolutely. There’s no shortage of land to buy in The Bahamas. The country’s many islands are prime for residential and commercial development opportunities, with new projects built every year.
But you may also be wondering…
Can foreigners buy land in The Bahamas?
Yes! Foreigners can buy virtually any type of Bahamian property, including condominiums, residential homes, townhomes, and land.
The International Persons Landholding Act 1993 allows foreigners (including non-residents) to purchase Bahamian property. However, you might need a permit if:
- Your land is more than two acres.
- You plan to use the land for commercial development.
- You plan to rent out the land.
Remember that regardless of whether you need a permit, you’ll still have to register your land purchase with the Foreign Investment Board. If you need any help learning about permit requirements, our MCR team would be happy to help!
What is Bahamas land for sale by owner?
Bahamas land for sale by owner implies that the seller doesn’t have a real estate agent representing them. Often in these cases the seller doesn’t use an agent to save money on commission costs (though we can’t stress enough the value of an informed agent).
If you’re a buyer, this isn’t something to worry about. We just recommend you have a knowledgeable real estate agent like MCR Bahamas’ staff to represent your every need during the purchase.
Where to Buy Land in The Bahamas
The Bahamas features many land purchase opportunities across 30 inhabited islands. Here are some areas we love helping our clients invest in:
- Nassau/New Providence: Nassau has tons of land for sale, including affordable single-family lots in the $100,000 range. But picking through each neighborhood could be a challenge if you’re unfamiliar. Enlist support from any one of our knowledgeable real estate agents to choose the perfect Nassau lot!
- Exuma & Exuma Cays: Did you know Exuma’s coastline has waters that are such a distinct blue that they’re visible from outer space? Pair that with its world-famous swimming pigs, and Exuma’s the perfect place to buy land if you’re planning on eco-touristic development.
- Eleuthera: Travelers and nomads alike find Eleuthera a magical place for adventure and relaxation. Expats are flocking to this 200-sq-mile island for its stunning white beaches, laid-back vibe, and wholesome activities. Find elevated green acreage for your luxury home or sea-to-sea beachfront land for your oceanside villa.
- Long Island: Long Island, Bahamas offers you miles of untouched beaches, cliffs, marine caves, and sinkholes – as well as a vibrant expat community to join. A haven for fishing, boating, and diving – and the location of the oldest church in the country – Long Island offers the perfect blend of nature and community.
- Grand Bahama: Do you have family in West Palm Beach or Fort Lauderdale? Grand Bahama is the closest Bahamian island to eastern Florida at just a 3-hour ferry from Fort Lauderdale.
If you’re after a commercial development, Grand Bahama features tons of land potential, with some listings for plots of hundreds of acres. Aim for something near Freeport for ultimate appreciation potential.
- Andros Island: The largest island in all of The Bahamas. Andros Island is for the investor with a soft spot for endless greenery and nature. You’ll also find tons of beachfront land in large acre quantities here. Most of Andros Island is undeveloped, making it prime for land purchases. Pro tip — go for the Western part of the island for the best beaches!
- Rose Island: Have you ever dreamt of owning a luxury spa with a seaside view in the front and backyard? With little residential development, Rose Island is a tourist hotspot for snorkeling, sightseeing, and relaxation. Any plot of land you buy can serve as a heavenly location for a luxury tourist business.
- Bimini: Spend the weekend in Bimini and fly back to Miami for your Monday morning meeting. The possibilities are endless for this super-west island in The Bahamas. You won’t find hundred-acre lots for sale on this small island, but it makes a fantastic location for your second dream home.
These are just a few options, but The Bahamas is rich with land to buy. You could also find investment opportunities in Paradise Island, Abaco, and more.
Why You Should Buy Land in The Bahamas
So, what makes land in The Bahamas a solid purchase? And why would someone prefer it to an already-built piece of property?
Here’s our take:
Any purchase in The Bahamas is a fabulous investment. If you’re considering residential developments for leasing, you’ll have no shortage of available tenants. The Bahamas has regular immigration increases annually, not to mention the millions of tourists seeking short-term rentals each year.
Also, land purchases will come at a lower price than a comparable property with a house. Perfect for those on a budget who may need more time to map out expenses and plan their projects.
Finally, property prices in The Bahamas increase every year. If you buy some land now, you might not even need to build on it for it to be a good investment. Sit on it for a few years and see how much a return you can get!
Don’t get us wrong: The Bahamas is home to some of the most innovative architectural masterpieces in the world. Houses, villas, luxury mansions, and even condos have unique interior design and taste — but building new allows for ultimate customization offered by buying land first.
Think of everything predetermined when purchasing a house. Imagine having the final say on every detail — flooring, countertops, ceiling fixtures, colors, layout, and more!
You’ll access similar residency opportunities after buying Bahamian land as you would purchasing regular property. As long as the purchase price is at least $500,000, you can obtain a permanent residence permit after purchasing land.
A nice bonus? Add your spouse and kids to your application at no cost.
Vacant Land & Property for Sale in The Bahamas
We discussed where to buy Bahamian land, but how do you find spots for your most specific needs?
Which islands offer the best beachfront land for development? Is there such a thing as affordable land in The Bahamas?
Nassau Property for Sale
Nassau’s a big city, so where should you look for land? Luckily, you have tons of options in such a dynamic place.
Craving something along the beach? Try something near:
- Cable Beach
- Lyford Cay
- Coral Harbor
- Adelaide Beach
Looking for something more inland? Nassau has tons of culture and flavor to offer away from the beach in neighborhoods like:
- The Grove
- Downtown Nassau
- Flamingo Gardens
- New Providence
See for yourself! Check out all our lovely Nassau listings.
Beachfront Land for Sale in The Bahamas
Cat Island, Lyford Cay, Exuma, Eleuthera — take your pick! There’s no shortage of beachfront land for sale in The Bahamas. However, depending on the island, it’ll cost you a pretty penny.
Big beachfront lots on Eleuthera Island can run as high as 30,000,000, but those are for massive, hundred-acre lots. You might also find some modest, single-family lots in the 1,000,000 range in Bimini or Exuma.
Explore beachfront land in The Bahamas!
Affordable Land for Sale in The Bahamas
Believe it or not, you can find land under $200,000 in The Bahamas. Mind you, it probably won’t be beachfront land, but you won’t be far from the sparkly coastline.
Also, you’re looking at less acreage at this price point. Expect around a 4-acre Bimini lot for a couple hundred thousand dollars. Or, you could find modest single-family lots for 90,000 in Grand Bahama.
Vacant Land for Sale in Freeport Bahamas
Every agent will advise you to invest in Freeport if you’re looking on Grand Bahama Island. A port city, Freeport is the second-most populous Bahamian city, rich with economic opportunity, tourism, immigration, and more.
The best part? It’s still super affordable. Modest homes could be as low as $80,000, with plots of land running even less.
Land for Sale in Love Estates
Love Estates is a prime Bahamian location, placing you minutes away from Lyford Cay, Cable Beach, Nassau Airport, and more. The development includes various-sized family residential land lots for sale and dedicated land for commercial enterprise.
You’ll find lots ranging from $200,000 to $1,000,000, with many residential lots sitting at the $400,000 mark.
Where is the best place for land in The Bahamas?
Bottom line? Anywhere in The Bahamas is a fantastic place to buy land. Of course, beachfront lots are the most desirable and more expensive, but imagine the possibilities and luxury. Bahamian land can be the starting point for your new home, or the humble beginning of a successful commercial development.